May and June Round-up
Catching up here on the monthly round-ups! Summer has just been flying by at warp speed. We got back from California and the kids started dance and swim classes, and I have been trying to get on top of client work. The weather has been sticky and warm mixed in with lots of thunderstorms, so not the best weather for outdoor activities. I realized yesterday that school starts in a little over a month, so this weekend I am sitting down and making us a bucket list for August. There are still a number of outings I'd love to get in before the grind of school begins.
So, here is a little look back at May and June:
- We went up to Copake for Memorial Weekend and attended the first farmer's market of the season and had fun swimming at the Ore Pit.
- I went to Jones Beach with Logan on a rainy Mother's Day.
- All the flowers and trees bloomed in May!
- Lila's class performed "I Just Can't Wait to Be King" from The Lion King in the school kindergarten show, and there were a number of other end-of-the-school-year events as well, like the class picnic and the Author's Tea.
- Logan celebrated his 4th birthday with cupcakes at school, a trip to the zoo, and a dinner out on 7th Street at the first Friday Night Promenade of the summer.
- We spent a weekend in Philadelphia celebrating Dana's graduation from nursing school.
- I had a few client sessions, but mainly just buckled down editing, editing, editing. I did create "Marie" - probably my favorite client film ever.
- I did my first client session solely on the Sony (and I loved it!). Planning on selling all my Nikon gear later this year.
"And I Shall Have Some Peace There" by Margaret Roach
FAVORITE INTERNET FINDS
"Why We Print"
"The Importance of the Female Lens in Photography"
"Kid Portrait Collages"
"The Importance of Hiring Female Photographers"
"Make Still Life Photographs that Tell Your Family's Story"
Melanie Herzfeld's (drama teacher from Stoneman Douglas High School) acceptance speech at the 2018 Tony Awards.
CURRENTLY MAKING ME HAPPY
- our dog
- not having to get the kids out the door in the morning
- slowing down
- making plans for some living room re-decorating
- pinning all the things on Pinterest
- making plans for my business
- completing some long-standing projects
FAVORITE PHOTO CAPTURES THIS PAST MAY AND JUNE
GOALS FOR AUGUST:
- Enjoy the rest of the summer with the kids
- Visit Jones Beach, the NY Botanical Gardens and Copake
- Get at least 75% of my class content written!
- Finish up client work
- Edit California film and make a new one about our dog, Tank
Francesca Russell is a documentary-style family photographer and filmmaker located in Garden City South, NY. If you'd like to see more of her recent documentary family photography, head over to her Facebook page or follow her everyday adventures on Instagram. If you are looking for a family photographer or lifestyle videographer on Long Island or in the New York City area to document your family, small business or event, please contact her for more information.